WHAT TO STORE VS. NOT STORE IN YOUR GARAGE
June 26, 2018
More often than not our garages become ground zero for all of those items we have no room for in our homes. While throwing stuff in the garage is a quick fix, you may find that you no longer have room for your car, which the garage was originally intended for. You may also find that the things you store in there have become damaged or ruined. Most garages will provide some room for storage beyond the space a parked car takes up. This extra storage space is perfect for many things, and a recipe for disaster for others.
What To Keep In The GarageThe items best for keeping in the garage are those that are typically meant for use in outdoor environments, or other items that can withstand temperature fluctuations and changes in humidity.
- Small Tools
- Power Tools
- Outdoor entertainment such as toys, bikes, wagons
- Yard and gardening tools such as rakes, shovels, brooms
- Infrequently used items such as camping chairs or coolers
What Not To Keep In The GarageAlthough the garage may seem like a sensible place to keep these items, especially due to easy access from the house, consider putting these things in rooms that can provide more protection from changes in temperature and humidity.
- Sentimental items, documents, and photographs- These items may become stuck to each other or discolored by changes in temperature and humidity.
- Electronics- Electronics may be sensitive to temperature changes, especially extreme hot. A better place for these items if you don’t want to donate them, is the basement or a spare room.
- Food items- Even canned food can have a shortened shelf life due to being subjected to constant temperature changes.
- Propane tanks or any flammable items- The last thing you want near your running car is any item that can easily catch fire.
- Paint cans- Paint integrity will degrade quickly when exposed to changes in temperature and humidity.
- Linens or other fabrics, upholstered items- Mice and other rodents love to nustle into fabrics and linens stored in accessible places such as a garage.