Suppose that you have a clean and organized garage. You can do many weekend projects on your workbench. There is ample space for the cars and other things that you stowed away for future use.
It’s a dreamlike situation.
But then you zap back to reality and see the mountain of storage boxes on the floor. The piling seems inevitable as you acquire new things and hide old bits and pieces such as your seasonal items and sports equipment.
You have two choices: You can declutter, hold a garage sale, or store your miscellaneous in a place that is out of your sight and won’t affect the existing floor space that you have. If you like the third option, you can try out overhead storage ideas. These are ideal storage spaces that are excellent additions to your garage.
Overhead storage racks or shelves are better than floor shelves because they take advantage of the upper wall or main ceiling space, areas that are not usually used in terms of storage.
Tips on how to choose the overhead storage rack for you
Before buying anything, make sure that you have a solid grasp of your garage and its contents. Get your measuring tape and put on your thinking cap and let the work begin!
1.Know the layout of your garage so you know where you will hang the overhead storage system. Ask yourself if the rack or shelf will interfere with the current setup of your garage.
2. Another thing to consider is the placement of the overhead garage storage to avoid affecting the garage attic entrance.
3. Think of the installation process with the trusses in mind. In terms of overhead hanging racks, you should also spend time thinking about:
a.The amount of weight that your garage ceiling can hold;
b.The material of your garage ceiling and if it can hold the screws for long-term; and
c.The ideal height of the overhead garage rack.
4. Do an inventory of your items and boxes so you know their combined weight.
5. Check the best overhead garage storage material that would work for you. You can invest in heavy-duty storage made from steel or wood just to be on the safe side.
What’s best for me?
There are different types of overhead garage storage depending on your budget and garage space. The selection covers materials, colors, texture, size, lifting capacity, and stability. You can also choose if you want the storage system to be manual or motorized.
Let’s discuss various overhead garage rack types:
1.Overhead hanging garage storage rack – This is the most basic one but doesn’t be fooled: It can carry a lot of items even though it is suspended from the ceiling.
You can set the hanging garage storage rack manually which means you have to get a ladder each time you want to put or get an item from there. Or you can install a motorized version for added convenience.
You can try the overhead garage rack from FlexiMounts. It is made of solid steel and comes in black, white, and hammertoe. It has an integrated wire grid design. Its frames are welded together, making it a sturdy and stable storage option. Its installation solutions include 4’x8, 3’x8′, 4’x6′, 3’x6′ size options.
pic from Michael Priestas
2. Ceiling storage hoist – This type of overhead garage storage can support heavy boxes. Some can carry up to 250 lbs.of weight and are made with quality materials like steel cables that lock in place. Double-check if its material works with your ceiling type and if it comes with installation hardware for easy setup. Its price can be pretty steep but you will definitely get value for your money.
3. Overhead or wall mounted bike rack — This wall mount will allow you to hang your bike off the floor and give you more space. There are different options out there but the main things to consider are its sturdiness, stability, and versatility. Check if the bike rack comes with different hooks that will work with your wall or ceiling.
Level up your garage organization
If you want plenty of space to do activities or park your car, you can be creative with your storage system. Putting shelves or racks on your ceiling or walls will make your garage tidy as well as functional.